THIS IS MARRIAGE!!
Permission to be a bad ass. Nod.
He looks back at the guy like, “SEE THAT? SHE SAID YES. YOU’RE SO FUCKED.”
Like, guys. Sparta was so kick ASS sometimes when it came to women. Spartan women were given these small knives so that if their husbands came home and tried to hit them or assault them, they had a weapon within reach. That weapon was for CUTTING THEIR HUSBANDS’ FUCKING FACES so that when he went out in public everyone would know he was an asshole, abusing jerkface and they would publicly shame him.
I DID NOT KNOW THAT THAT IS GREAT
LET’S JUST TALK ABOUT SPARTAN WOMEN FOR A SECOND.
In Sparta, women could own land and were considered citizens. THAT IS A HUGE BIG FUCKING DEAL. Why? Because that was RARE AS FUCK and there are lots of places TODAY where women don’t even get that much.
Divorce was totally fine, and a woman could expect to keep her own wealth and get custody of the kids because paternal lineage wasn’t very important. And it didn’t make her a pariah! She could totally remarry, no big deal at all.
Spartan women participated in some fuckin’ badass sporting events, too. And because they were expected to be as physically fit as the Spartan menfolk (who all had to serve compulsory military duties, btw, and couldn’t marry until they finished them at thirty) they didn’t have time for lots of swishy dresses. So they wore notoriously short skirts. According to some accounts, their thighs were visible at all times. HOLY SHIT.
Also, In Sparta men only got their names on their graves if they died in battle. And women? Women only got their names on their graves if they died in childbirth. THE SPARTANS COMPARED CHILDBIRTH TO FUCKING BATTLE AND IT WAS VIEWED AS A GODDAMN BADASS AND HONORABLE WAY TO GO OUT.
FUCKING SPARTAN WOMEN. THIS DUDE HAD FUCKIN’ BETTER MAKE SURE SHE’S COOL WITH WHATEVER HE’S DOING, IF HE KNOWS WHAT’S FUCKIN’ GOOD FOR HIM.
^^ I throughly enjoyed the history lesson dashed with the colorful adjectives.
- fandumbstruck reblogged this from idrewacircle
- confidentloser reblogged this from the-hetalian-redhead
- confidentloser likes this
- fire-at-seaparks reblogged this from crosswire
- theangelchild reblogged this from braveheart-the-lion
- lookpastthesky likes this
- lookpastthesky reblogged this from wholockedforever
- lelouch-the-master likes this
- intheendtheresnothing reblogged this from maru-kaitechikyuu
- creepy-hetastuck reblogged this from knight-ofheart
- maru-kaitechikyuu reblogged this from wholockedforever
- maru-kaitechikyuu likes this
- crusadeinjeans likes this
- typicaltaliaa reblogged this from little-sunflowerr
- crosswire reblogged this from verdancy
- wholockedforever reblogged this from the-hetalian-redhead
- wholockedforever likes this
- knight-ofheart reblogged this from the-hetalian-redhead
- the-hetalian-redhead reblogged this from idrewacircle
- rippeduntimely likes this
- daylightsong reblogged this from elaine-moon
- elaine-moon reblogged this from bandgeek-in-a-bag
- i-was-born-to-save-the-doctor reblogged this from verdancy
- idrewacircle reblogged this from hetaliaddiction
- lets-b-grimm reblogged this from tinalikesbutts
- miki-chi likes this
- ichijouaria likes this
- forwhocouldeverl0v3abeast likes this
- verdancy reblogged this from thorreos
- amieewhitney reblogged this from deemelomaniac
- galacticpanther reblogged this from chromemon
- galacticpanther likes this
- fuecchan reblogged this from ichigohaatsu
- geniusmillionareplayboyphilanth likes this
- lavishcabbage reblogged this from gallifreyanhippogriff
- lascielle likes this
- wirtw likes this
- wirtw reblogged this from ichigohaatsu
- chocolatefrogsforme reblogged this from i-emma-timelord
- chocolatefrogsforme likes this
- amane24 likes this
- holmesotakushizune reblogged this from ichigohaatsu
- holmesotakushizune likes this
- iwiwimirai reblogged this from ichigohaatsu
- i-emma-timelord reblogged this from thatgirlwholived
- personalitiesarecliches likes this
- iwiwimirai likes this
- howwhatwhy likes this
- beanieluvjae likes this
- hirarira likes this